Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Friday, August 19, 2005

"You don't just come to a meeting and say 'Bugs'"

I got really excited this morning when I was riding the train on my way to school. The guy announcing the stations said "Prochaine station, Vendome," and then 'doo-doo-dooed' the first bar of the Twilight Zone theme song. I hadn't heard any stops announced that way since I was 18, when I was taking the train home from a concert at the (then) Molson Centre. I had never forgotten it, and I finally heard it again today. I'm assuming it was the same guy, but announcing train stops for over 7 years seems kinda strange...

Earlier in the week, I was sitting outside at a picnic table with a bunch of people from my class. At one point, these two guys, one with a video camera, approached us, asking if any of us would be willing to answer some questions about politics on camera. When everybody started to mull the idea over and discuss it among themselves, the guy with the camera looked right at me and said "What about you?" and started walking over to me. This is when another guy volunteered and they interviewed him instead. As soon as he was done, the camera guy asked me again, "Would you like to answer the same questions as him, with the camera?". There was no way I was gonna do anything for this skeevy dude. You see, I had seen these two guys about an hour before, when I was heading down the escalator at school. They passed me while they were heading up and the camera guy was ogling me so openly, I gave him the evil eye. Anyhow, I didn't want him to have any visual record of me that he could take home with him... how creepy!

Oh yeah, and my class is going fairly well. The program we're learning is pretty complicated and requires very precise instructions in order to make models run properly. It gets really frustrating at times, but when something finally does work properly, or when you figure out a problem on your own, it's really rewarding. And it can actually be pretty fun if you know what you're doing! Today, one other student and I tag-teamed to figure out a problem the whole class was stuck on. When we finally figured it out, we became the class heroes and the prof was so impressed with us! We were so excited, a bunch of us went out and had some beers during our break!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home