Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Monday, February 13, 2006

The One Where I Talk About Mike

This year, since St. Valentine's Day is on a Tuesday, and I'm at school 'til late on Tuesdays, Mike and I decided to celebrate a little early. That's right folks, Valentine's Day is over! Well, it is for us, anyway! It was nice though; we went out for dinner on Saturday and I got to pick the restaurant! So I chose "Di Sera" because we both liked it last time we went, and it's Bring Your Own Wine so it's also cheaper!

I spent most of Saturday working on papers for school and other such things. I was all alone at home so I had peace and quiet... until the doorbell rang at about 2:00. Who could that be? I thought to myself. No one ever comes to the door, and even then, it's never for me... But no one else is home, so who could it be? I pondered for a second, trying to decide whether or not to answer the door. That's when I realized I was still in my pajamas and my hair was a mess. That decided it for me: I wouldn't answer the door. But my curiosity got the best of me, so I lifted the blinds and looked out the window. Parked across the street was Mike's car. So that was when I ran to the door, feeling bad that I had left him standing on the front step out there in the cold! When I opened the door, there he was a big bouquet of flowers! Yay, what a nice surprise! He could have waited until dinner to give them to me, but no... he wanted to surprise me and give them to me when I least expected it. I love that!

Celebrating continued on Sunday with the beginning of the festivities for my Dad's 50th birthday. His birthday is actually on Wednesday, but we went out for dinner with his side of the family on Sunday evening. I brought Mike along, which proved to be good fun! You see, my Dad's family has known Mike for a little over a year now, although they've only met him three times. Regardless, some of them can't remember his name. Which is pretty weak. But I can't say I'm entirely surprised, because I wouldn't be so shocked if they didn't know mine. It's not because they're dumb, it's because they simply don't care. I hate to say it, but it's true. Anyway, we were kiss-kissing everyone hello. My Dad's brother came up to Mike, said hello, and it became quite obvious that he couldn't remember Mike's name, so he said it for my uncle. So then my unlce asks, "So what's my name?" without any hesitation, Mike says it. Sensing a challenge, my uncle's wife comes up. "And what's my name?" she asks. Mike gets her name right away as well. They were obviously impressed and chagrined and I was thrilled. He sure showed them! I just think it's pretty stupid that several members of my extended family can't even bother to remember one person's name, when Mike has succeeded in memorizing 7 people's names after having met them only 3 times in over a year. That's not fair!

1 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Yeah, he told me there was no line-up, but apparently they started charging "Valentine's Day Prices" over a week BEFORE Valentine's Day.

Stupid commericalism; flowers cost 3 times what they normally do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home