Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Children Waiting for the Day They Feel Good

Last night we celebrated Kim's 24th birthday! It got off to a slow start; we waited outside the restaurant, L'Académie, in the cold for almost an hour, waiting for tardy guests and a table. The was a snarky hostess that expected us to feel sorry for her because she occasionally had to go outside and get info from people waiting in line. As far as we were concerned, she was being paid to do it and it was part of her job. We were actually paying customers that were not even allowed to wait inside the restaurant and instead we were relegated to the sidewalk to hang out with the homeless guy in front of the SAQ. Great. Anyway, when we finally got in, we had a great meal, so I suppose it was worth the wait!

Afterward, we wandered up and down St. Laurent for a bar and finally settled on Belmont. I was surprised upon entering the bar that I had already been there once before. At first, the music was positively awful, but then we hit the magical 1:00 am mark and suddenly the DJ was spinning all kinds of retro tunes and we danced to MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This", Sir Paul McCartney's "I Saw Her Standing There" and other jems. When Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" began to play, we all gathered into a big circle, arms around shoulders, and belted out the lyrics... what a classic!

Just before 3:00 am, we decided to leave so we could avoid the line-up at the coat-check. Mike got his coat first and waited at the front door. There were two guys in front of me and as I was waiting for my coat, one guy looked at me and asked "So, did you have a good time tonight?" Uh-oh! I thought, Desperate last-minute pick-up attempt! Dumb Guy didn't even consider looking at who I was with. All I said was "Yes, thank-you." I looked at Danny, who was standing behind me, to see if he had noticed this little exchange. He gave me an amused look saying he had seen it. Dumb Guy noticed. "Oh, is this guy your boyfriend?" he asked. Danny, being the nice guy that he is, tried to come to me rescue. "Yes." he said, just as I said "No." I think that usually I would have gone along with that little ploy, but my real boyfriend was only 10 feet away and I wanted to give Dumb Guy a nice little scare! I mean, why pretend a 6-foot guy is your boyfriend, when the real one is almost 6'5"?? So I said, "That's my boyfriend, over there!" Mike noticed me pointing at him and he did the best thing: he put on his serious/menacing face and took two steps toward us... Uh oh, scary tall boyfriend spots short Dumb Guy talking to girlfriend! Dumb Guy affirms the reputation I have already given him by saying, "Oh, he's a big guy!" As I walked over to Mike, Dumb Guy also came over and had the nerve to actually pat Mike on the chest and say "Don't worry about it"! And then he made some excuses about the effects of vodka and he said something about a lawyer. It actually looked like he was going to try and pick a fight with Mike... pretty stupid. But amusing.

Mike, Danny and I got Kim some sushi sets for her birthday. I mention that here because I thought yesterday's (January 14 - Kim's birthday) Toothpaste for Dinner comic was oddly coincidental:


Ha ha! What are the chances??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home