Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

Yesterday evening, Mike and I met up at the shops to pick up / trade photos from our trip. Upon returning to his house, we found ourselves locked out. Mike hadn't brought his keys because his brother had been home when he left the house. However, said brother had left for the gym by the time we got back. The family has this tricky little way of hiding successive keys to access the house in this type of situation. Unfortunately, the final key was not in the key holder so we could not get inside. So we set up a camping chair in the garage, I sat on the stair and we exchanged our photos. After a while, it began to get cold and we were getting tired of hanging out in the garage. Suddenly, Mike looked up at the door leading from the inside of the garage to the house. He noticed a small hole in the round doorknob. "Hey, if I stick something in that hole, will the door unlock?" he asked. I momentarily flashed back to when I was a kid and I would lock myself in the bathroom to get away from my dad when he would tickle me. He always outsmarted me and unlocked the door from the outside with a skewer. "Yeah, that should work!" I exclaimed. I tried the old movie trick of using a bobby pin. Yeah, don't bother with that, it doesn't really work. The bobby pin was too short. Mike found something else but it was too wide. We were about to give up when Mike found a spool of steel wire. He stuck the end in the doorknob, jiggled it, turned the knob and sure enough... the door opened! The look he gave me was absolutely hilarious: a mix of amazement, despair (perhaps because it was that easy to break into his own house?) and pride. Yes, it's a proud thing to be a lock-picker! Anyhow, Mike ran to the front of the house to turn off the alarm before we could set it off. After that, we were home-free!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home