Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Battered with Bias

I just received this e-mail from my Prof. MY PROF. I took out the identifying information, but essentially, this is what I found in my inbox:
Somebody ledft glassess after class on Tuesday, They cab be
retried at secirty in the AD building (AD sitst
floor).

Oh my. I fear for the quality of my education.

I thought I'd also relate my advetures on the bus this afternoon, on my way home from work. I was sitting near the back of the bus where there are four seats that face each other. Two chatting people sit down, a guy to my left and a girl who sits scross from him. However, before the guy actually sat down, he asked me if I minded if he "put his fat ass down" on the seat next to mine. "No problem" I say. He then asks if I would mind holding onto his bag for the duration of the ride. Big grin. "Uh, I'd rather not!" I say, faking a laugh. The girl looks at me, smiles and rolls her eyes. The guy then looks over my shoulder and asks me what I'm studying. "Third World Cities." I say. "Oh, well then maybe you know about this... Americans go and bomb Afghanistan... right?" Uh, yeah..." I say. He continues, "What they SHOULD do, is bomb the shit out of them and then leave a bill. So they can they go in and do the reconstruction." I'm thinking, this guy is pretty weird. I say, "That's an interesting theory" because I have no idea what else to say. This guy is pretty opinionated and cynical and I don't think he can keep any of it to himself! While sitting in traffic, he sees an old red truck through the window. He says, "We should grab a baseball bat and hit that truck with it because it's so ugly." Obviously by this time, I've given up on reading as I can no longer concentrate! Later on he tells me that university is worthless, all you learn is how to interact with people and everyone just drinks. "What's a BA?" he says, "It's BS... Bull Shit." I eventually find out he's studying history, and only to get a work VISA for foreign countries. And this guy's gonna be a teacher?! So he asks me what I'm studying and I answer "Urban Planning." "Do you WANT to die?" he asks me. Then comes the tirade about how badly designed Montreal is. Well, I couldn't agree more, but it's not MY fault! Anyway, strange kid. I felt finda bad for his friend, she pretty much just sat there in silence, listening to this guy. And somehow I got sucked into it, too! Anyway, he got off at Dorval and she stayed on. After he left, she continuously apologized for him, repeatedly calling him "special"... Indeed!


3 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I miss the 211 bus ride home. There is always something going on, I am sure someone out there can or already has devoted an entire blog to their adventures on Montreal Public Transit. The other good bus ride is the 90 ...

I would really like to know Julian's opinion on the most interesing bus ride. Correction, I would like to read about his thoughts rather not get drawn into a long conversation about bus times and metro times.

Funny how when you said you were in Planning that his response was 'do you want to die', if anything planners will be some of the more important people in North America in the upcoming years. With the natural depletion of our resources, etc. we will have to completely re-form the way we live.

I recommend highly seeing the movie The end of suburbia. It played last week at Concordia for free, as Nancy would say, very interesting indeed!

Well my rant has been long enough for this morning.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Dave, why you always insist on being anonymous, I will never know! But look, I've blown your cover!

Yeah, bus rides are often an adventure... that's why I try to stick to the train!

Speaking of adventures, I was once on the 211 at abour 11:30 pm on Christmas Eve, heading home from downtown. I was with my old high school friend, Melissa. It was our bus driver's first time doing the route and she got lost. Needless to say, there were many disgruntled passengers who wanted to get home to their families but instead we took an extended tour through Montreal. Melissa and I sang carols all the way back to the West Island. I don't know how the other passengers felt about that, but the bus driver told us that we made HER feel better!

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It adds to this mystery and je ne sais pas about me.

and you never know, if it is really Dave!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home