Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I'll Show YOU a Strike!

I don't know if it's too early or what, but there don't seem to be very many picketers outside the school. They're playing their music awfully loud, though. That's right folks, today is strike day at Concordia University. However, life goes on for the lowly office assistant, for I am at work today, regardless. But class is cancelled, so I suppose that's fun.

It's fun as long as this is my only class that gets cancelled. Some Concordia students are pushing for an unlimited strike until something is done about these cuts to the bursaries. Alright, a one day strike is fine, I'm all for it: make your point known, fight for your rights, that's all well and good. But if you want to go on an unlimited strike and wipe away your whole semester (not to mention everyone else's as well), well, you can't have my support!

In all honesty, I'm not sure how an unlimited strike would work, but some are saying that our semester could be cancelled. With what, 4 weeks left? Where are their priorities? Would they really throw away 12 weeks of hard work and $1,000 + (and much more if they are international students), just to pay it again to redo the same courses? I'm trying to graduate, here! Also, some of my more faithful readers may recall that I recently applied for grad studies. How am I supposed to start grad studies in the fall if I haven't graduated?

Maybe I'm blowing this all out of proportion, who knows? What are the chances, really, that a whole semester can be wiped away? It'll be a lot less stressful, though, if an unlimited strike doesn't happen. I'd be much happier!

2 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Aurora said...

Before you get your knickers in a twist, read this, from the link:

"The chair of last Wednesday's general assembly recommended a second GA be called to resolve the issue of an unlimited strike. The vote on the resolution technically passed, but since quorum was lost, the question was thrown out amid much controversy.

But at the monthly Council meeting, councillors voted nine to eight against holding a second GA, according to McSorley.

An independently formed group of concerned students has been circulating a petition for a second GA. But McSorley explained that if enough signatures are collected, the CSU has up to 30 days to call the meeting. This means the latest a GA could be called is mid-April—after regular classes are already over."

Anyway, I know you have a summer class too, but the odds of this maybe-General Assembly actually resulting in a vote for an unlimited strike are pretty narrow, if the CSU council didn't even want to call the GA in the first place. Also, we are starting to see a reaction from the gov't, which should satisfy a lot of people.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Hmm, that makes me feel better. Thanks Rory, now I won't get my 'knickers in a twist'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home