Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Monday, March 14, 2005

The Montreal Massacre-er!

(Sorry for that awkward word in the title. What do you call someone that does massacres, anyway? I called him a massacre-er, due to a current lack of imagination and inspiration.)

Sunday morning, it was just Mom and I. We had a nice breakfast together. As we sat at the dining room table, eating our cheese and mushroom omelettes, Mom asked me if I had ever seen anyone in our back yard. Well, apart from the two punks standing in our garden smoking... something... when I was like, eight years old, no. I didn't know what she was talking about until I turned my head to the left to look out our patio doors. Sure enough, there was a beaten down path in the snow leading from our driveway to the back of our yard. Apparently, someone had gotten into the habit of crossing through our back yard and stepping over the low stone wall separating our yard from our neighbour's behind us.

I'll readily admit it, I'm a compulsive person. And I like to play detective. I wanted to know who has been passing through our yard! Anyhow, we discussed this mystery person for a while, theorizing on the who, why and where of this person's actions. And why our yard, anyway? It leads to nowhere, except for another street full of houses. Anyway, we figured it was definitely not the mail man, but it could be the "Publi Sac" guy. Or perhaps not. But we both agreed it was probably someone young, a guy, maybe someone with a friend on the next street, and maybe someone living on our street.

Discussion waned as we moved from the table to the kitchen sink to do the dishes. All of a sudden, movement at the corner of my eye caused me to look up and out of the kitchen window overlooking the back yard. There was a man walking through our neighbour's back yard. I figured he belonged there, judging by his nonchalant swagger. "Hey look!" I exclaimed, pointing out the window. Mom leaned forward to look, mumbling at the same time something to the effect of "Yeah right, you're full of it!" Yet she saw him too and we were both stunned to see him cross over the aforementioned stone wall onto the rear neighbours' property and go around the side of the house, where he subsequently disappeared. We concluded that this had to be the same guy, I mean, what are the chances that our next door neighbours have a marauding stranger as well? Imagine that. Not half an hour after learning about this guy and he appears. He must have gone through the neighbour's yard because Mom's car was in the driveway. But this guy looked spooky! Actually, he looked pretty normal. He wasn't young, like we had thought he would be. Maybe 30-ish. Blue jeans, black leather jacket, dark sunglasses... and something slim and black in his hands. Looked like a blackjack. But that's just me being overly dramatic.

So where was this guy going? Where was he coming from? What was the insidious looking object in his hand? And why the recent forages through the snow in our yard? The mystery remains unsolved. And so it continues...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home