Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Saturday, February 26, 2005

"Your server is not amused"

What an exciting time, it seems like everyone is getting new jobs! First and foremost, Mike was officially hired yesterday by a company where he will be working upon graduation in May. What a concept: Mike as a career man! Anyway, it's really exciting that he's got a great job lined up for the spring, I know it takes a huge load off his back! Also in the new employment field is Aurora, who will start working at the office with me! Since we were so short-staffed at work, my boss asked me if I had any friends looking for work... Aurora was hired four days later! Anyway, I'm also excited to be working with Aurora again!

Speaking of working, I read an interesting article in the Montreal Gazette this morning about what it's like to be a waiter/waitress. One of my favourite things to do on a Saturday morning is to read the paper in my bed! Anyway, for anyone who's ever done waitress work (that means all of my fellow blogger-girls!) you'll see a bit of yourself in this article. It's about time many restaurant patrons realize how just how much a bit of rude or obnoxious behaviour can affect the serving staff. The article quoted several Montreal-area waiters and waitresses:

"Requests for menu substitutions cause many a contretemps between chef and waiter... 'Special requests are a nightmare in the rush.'"
Tell me about it! Come on, people, this is why we have a menu! Here's another one I identified with:
"And I'm always amazed by the people who rush in and say they only have 20 minutes for lunch, but then linger for an hour over dessert."
Oh, these people who think they are clever in pretending they are in a hurry in order to get quicker service... we see right through you! Here's one more. Anybody that worked with me at the BGC should recognize this one:
"The only drawback with regulars is that some treat this place like their personal kitchen, or walk right in without a reservation and sit at their favourite table."
You gotta love it when the diners actually come into the kitchen to make a complaint! Anyway, all in all, a great article. Next time you dine out, please be nice to your waiter!

Quotes taken from the Montreal Gazette, Saturday, February 26 2005. "What your waiter's really thinking". Life section, p. 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home