Not Your Average Butcher

Fast Fact: The average butcher has 7.3 fingers. Actually, I made that up, but I have all 10 of my fingers, so that's saying something... or is it?

Thursday, February 08, 2007

I Can Watch a Sunset On My Own

Yup, I'm still alive, not to worry. But wow, have a lot of things been happening! Actually, things have quieted down a lot since last weekend, which is good. And for the first time ever, I'm going to fake my way through this post and instead of actually writing everything down (again) I'm just going to copy and paste a couple of e-mails I sent out to some people in Ottawa. That way, I'll finally be done with regurgitating the same information over and over agagin!

January 30th:


Hi everybody!

I think it's about time I send out a general "all's well" from over here in Montreal. It really doesn't seem like just a week and a half ago that we said our last good-byes before I hauled my butt back to Montreal: so much has happened! I waved to all of you guys last night when I flew over Ottawa on my way back from Florida; see, I'm thinking about you!

Yup, last night I returned home from my very first cruise. It was... interesting. Mike and I went along with about 50 of his co-workers (and their husbands, wives, etc.) on a free 4 day cruise in the Bahamas. We spent a day in Nassau and it was rather nice; we took a tour through the city and visited Paradise Island. Next day we were supposed to visit Cococay for a day at the beach and some parasailing. As luck would have it, the weather was terrible and we weren't allowed on shore so we spent the whole day on the boat, inside where it wasn't horrifically windy. Big waste of a day. But we were there for free so we weren't complaining (much)! Despite the weather we still had fun but it was always incredibly busy with places to be, things to do and constantly running into Mike's coworkers. So next time, we'll definitely have to try a longer cruise, maybe it'll be more relaxing!

So now I'm back at work (regrettably without a tan) and I'm so glad it's a short week because I'm exhausted! The job is alright, it'll take some getting used to. Basically, I spend my days writing up this massive Phase II ESA for the Alert military base and Eureka on Ellesmere Island. 57 contaminated sites had previously been identified and I'm writing up little reports for each individual site to be integrated into the final report. I think it's going to get a little repetitive, but that's alright. The people here are pretty nice and I'm starting to get used to functioning in my second language. It's pretty relaxed here, I can come and go as I please, I can wear jeans and I share an office with my new coworker Josée. I was dreading the possibility of a stuffy fancy office environment where I would be stuck in a cubicle within a sea of cubicles. Not so. So I think I'm adjusting well!

Anyway, that's my news for now... I hope everything's going well for all of you! And now you have my new work address should you want to reach me.

Take care!


February 7th:


It's so nice to hear from you!

I can't make those lovely happy faces anymore, my computer at work is very old; only runs Windows 2000 and all of the Office programs are old versions too... seems the old version of Outlook isn't happy face friendly. Too bad! But I can do these ones :) it's something, right?!

By the way, did you get the update I sent everybody? Just wondering how much you already know (or don't know). Anyway, I've been so busy since I moved back to Montreal. I was very cranky for about 2 weeks because it was always go go go with no time to relax or even think. And just as I was getting really fed up I had to go on that cruise and I was cranky then too. Although I tried very hard to be happy, I was just to tired both physically and emotionally. But I'm better now, finally getting settled into my new situation...

The job is alright, it's not hugely exciting. I sit in my office all day writing my gigantic report and it can get pretty monotonous. I've made some aquaitances, but I wouldn't call them friends. It's hard to get to know people when you're locked up in an out of the way office all day. So I miss having people to talk to. But it hasn't even been 3 weeks, so I'll have to give it time.

As for the cruise, well it was kind of a bust; too much to do, a cancelled trip to Cococay, bad weather and the deck where our stateroom was smelled like dirty diapers, it was so gross. Somehow I managed to have fun though, we had some good laughs! The food and the service was excellent and we took a nice tour through Nassau. But it was stupid to come back from the Bahamas without a tan! Anyway, I figure I'll try the whole cruising thing again someday, but it will definitely have to be for a longer period of time. Three days is just not enough time to properly experience it, we had to pack in way too much during that time. And I'll try to be properly rested before I go!

Other than that, I've been driving around in my mom's car (woo hoo I can drive!) and Mike and I have started house hunting. We also have a bunch of appointments coming up soon with banks and mortgage brokers and all that fun stuff, because we're still not sure what we can afford.

Oh and next week I'll be going to Trenton to do some kind of training. I have no idea what it's for because nobody tells me anything! Oh well, it'll get me out of the office and into nice anglo Ontario for a couple of days!

You know, you popped into my head just yesterday! I had suddenly realized that I hadn't heard from you in a while (but I guess that's what happens when you're only working twice a week, huh?), so I was very happy to get your message this morning!

Okay, now I want to know what's new with you!


Ha ha this post took me all of 5 minutes to put together! You'd never guess just by looking at it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home